Monday, October 12, 2009

DIY Lampshade

I know that there are a lot of lampshades out there. Most of the time, if I'm going to have a lamp in my house, I'm going to want a funky, fun design on the lampshade instead of the typical plain colored one.


I found this tutorial on another site called J Caroline Home. It's full of projects and inspiration.


So enjoy this small tutorial... it's uber easy. I'm going out to find me some cheap fabric and re-do the lamps that I already have :)






*You can buy pre-glued lampshades or cover a plain one. With the self-adhesive variety, the
lampshade's label is the pattern for your fabric. If you fabric edges won't be covered with trim,
add a 1/2" seam allowance and fold it over the lampshade and glue to the inside.
*If you want to cover a lampshade you already have, make a pattern from a piece of newspaper.
Tape or use temporary spray adhesive to stick the paper to the lampshade and use a
highlighter to trace around the edge. Overlap where your edges meet by approximately 3/4".
Then remove the paper and cut to make a pattern. Cut your fabric based on your newpaper
pattern. You can then use a permanent spray adhesive to adhere the fabric to the lampshade. I
recommend spraying the lampshade thoroughly and then applying the fabric.
*Where the fabric edges meet, fold the raw edge of the top fabric under and use Tacky Glue to
glue down. Then you can use glue on the edges to prevent the fabric from pulling up.
*On the lampshade shown, I used a bias tape (basically a narrow piece of fabric similar to a
ribbon with the raw edges folded in to the middle) as the trim, which I glued on the top and
bottom with Tacky Glue.

Photobucket

No comments: