Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Toy Shelf

Ok... I have been working on this project for a while now and I finally was able to get it finished. I am SOOOOOO excited. It turned out so great and works great. So, here is what I did...
Turned a bookshelf into a toy shelf. Doesn't sound to genious when I type it out, but here is how I did it.
1. Took an old bookshelf that looks like this: I took all of the shelves out and the backing off (you could leave the backing on if you want, I took mine off because I want to be able to access it from both sides.) 2. Turned it sideways like this: At this point, I went to Home Depot and bought a peice of wood that measures 10 inches wide by 6 feet long. (I bought this size because it was the perfect sixe and there was no cutting involved) Then I screwed it in about half way down the shelf.3.I built me an insert out of the old shelves. (I did this because I wanted more storage space for my smaller baskets, you don't have to do this part) Here is what it looks like with both additions.
4. I painted it of coarse!! What color??? Orange!! And it looks soooo cute!! It will look even better when I move it into the room it is really going to go in against the green walls.Tada!! Enjoy and let me know if you have a cool project like this too or if you try this one out!!
Photobucket

No comments: